Friday, April 22, 2011

Is that really you, God? (A book review) Sorta...

SPOILER ALERT!

If you WANT to read "Is that really you, God?" by Loren Cunningham, don't read any further, because I'm about to ruin it all for you! ;)

Okay, now onto the spoiling...

The last two weeks I have progressively made my way through the book Is that really you, God? by Loren Cunningham. I'm not gonna lie, I thought I was back it high school with assigned readings, and a book report due that would just seem to drag on and on and on. As I read the book, if became less of a duty and more of an enjoyment. I loved reading the stories of Loren's visions over the years of YWAM, from the initial vision of waves of young people, even to the fulfillment of having a ship (SO COOL!) I head a few people complain that there was too much background of Loren's coming of age, and learning to really hear the voice of the Lord from a young age, and the legacy that he was brought up under. [Plus, can I say how stinking cool it is to see Loren, Darlene, and Mama Cunningham hear on campus on Thursday nights!] I thought it was incredibly vital to the value of the story, and so… yeah.

Watching, hearing, reading the stories of God's faithfulness, visions, provisions was really amazing! I've got so many stories of His provision for me, and I can spout them off to you one after another, so it was SO COOL to read of His faithfulness for the man and woman that brought YWAM to the fruition that we see today.

Loren's obedience in this process was incredible to read about, reading about him recognizing the Lord's voice in visions, dreams, etc. Things that would be so hard for ME to lay down! For example the Maori ship in New Zealand, to be that close to something that I believe the Lord had told me to do, to have my own pride, and my own self get in the way of letting Him do a work in me and through me, then to make me lay it down.

I don't know that I would have.

I think the other thing that I liked about the book too was to see how Loren constantly referred to Darlene, from the frumpy dress up until the end of the book, you could HEAR and SEE his love for the woman that the Lord had placed in his life. I loved the mention of the Taj Mahal and the symbolism that it carried for him in the process of pursuit and knowing the Darlene was the one who would partner with him in this incredible adventure.

You don't ever recognize the impact that a book like that can have on your own life, until you realize that the thing you were just reading was in your hands because of the authors obedience. Because he was obedient I am currently sitting in the Cafe of the University of the Nations, in Kona, Hawaii, in the middle of the pacific ocean.

(I know that I've said "cool" a lot in this post, but)

THAT'S SO AMAZINGLY COOL.

1 comment:

Jonathan Zerkle said...

Jillian,

love it. I love the way you ended it. Because of his obedience, you're chillin at the cafe in the middle of the Pacific. Pretty crazy eh? I wonder what Loren thinks sometimes. He truly is an example to us all!