Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Disease I Don't Mind Having

I was hanging out with some of my girlfriends about this time last week. We were making a quick Walmart run to pick up some good, girly junk food... you know, queso and chips, salsa, sugar cookies, and hot cocoa.

With it being the month of December, our good friends, the Salvation Army ringers are outside of Targets and Walmarts across the nation. I love this time of year and getting to give, even just spare change.

So whilst I was on this mission for junk food I had some spare change in my pocket, probably about 50 cents, I very happily placed it in the bucket, and receieved the verbal thanks of the Salvation Army ringer. I proceeded inside to get my items. When I payed, I used a 20 dollar bill and recieved 6 dollars and 57 cents in change.

As I exited Walmart with my goodies in hand, I walked through a small series of two automatice doors (You know... the one's that make you feel like a Jedi :) ) and placed the 57 cents that I had just recieved into the little red bucket... The ringer standing there seemed flabbergasted (i LOVE that word!) that I would donate TWICE the small amount of change in my in my pockets. "Merry Christmas! You must have some sort of disease giving TWO times in the same night... you are crazy!"

It struck me as odd that giving about a dollar and seven cents in change would be a disease orcrazy. What kind of world do we live in that $1.07 is considered an extravagant gift or donation?!

If the world would realize that God gave the most extravagant gift humanly imaginable, HisSON. A human life... What kind of ooh-ing and awing does a gift like that deserve?

One of my prayers through my whole life has been that I would have a lot of money... Typical american, right? Lots of money, not for myself, but to bless others. To send people to Africa, Australia, Mexico, and even just buying them lunch!

I pray that my $1.07 changes that S.A. Ringer's life... maybe not with the direct benefit of having that money in his pocket, but knowing that some random girl walked in and out of Walmart and was willing to give, both coming and going.

If giving is a disease, its one I don't mind having.





1 comment:

Ryn B. said...

I love this Jillian!